Thursday, February 21, 2013

sweet treats

last week was full of valentines fun.  below are the inside of the cards susanna made at school for chris and me, which were great because we've always wondered just why she loves us.  now we know.

(just in case you're having trouble reading my scanned copy ...
"Daddy you are my Valentine because you have twinkly blue eyes, you laugh when I ticle your foot.  You are special to me because you take care of me and you spend time with me.  Thats why I love you!  Love, Susanna)

 (Mommy you are my Valentine because you have sparkling blue eyes, and blonde hair.  You are special to me because you cook delicious food with me.  And you give me very special gifts.  Thats why I love you!  Love, Susanna)

so that's what they do in the first grade -- write love notes to their parents.  what do they do in second grade, you ask?  apparently dream of ways to honor their girlfriends.  yep, as liam and i walked down the aisle at target to pick up valentine's candy for their classroom parties, liam paused in front of the ghiradelli section and decided he'd like to buy his girlfriend some.  this is lauren, the same "girlfriend" he's had since they were three year-old classmates in preschool, so i know her well.  she's such a sweetheart and quite worthy of some chocolate treatment so we added it to the cart ... and the whole walk up to the checkout lines, liam fretted.  "how do i get it to her?" he asked me.  "i can't give it to her at school because other girls might be jealous -- and it might embarrass her."  (quite an astute observation, i thought.)  "maybe we can bring it to her house?"  and so that's just what we did on valentine's day afternoon.
waiting sort of nervously after ringing the doorbell.  luckily he's not old enough yet to resent me snapping pictures from the car
lauren rode up on her scooter and seemed quite happy ... which made liam beam.  "i think that went as well as i could have hoped," he exclaimed when he returned to the car.  (i'm not quite sure what he was expecting, come to think of it)

and on a completely unrelated note, susanna and i saw the touring show of mary poppins in durham last week with one of her best friends and her mom.  it was quite a grown-up affair ... dinner out at a restaurant, with a showtime starting at 7:30 -- which is normally when she's getting into bed.  we didn't get home until close to midnight.  i'm thinking that when we go see "beauty and the beast" in october, we might just opt for a weekend matinee.
too bad it's blurry, because you're missing my "sparkling blue eyes"

No comments: