Friday, December 19, 2008

GPS = Greatest Present for Sara

on my way home from my tenth college reunion a few years ago, i missed my exit. for those of you unfamiliar with north carolina geography, raleigh is almost exactly south of richmond; yet somehow, i wound up in virginia beach. (for those of you unfamiliar with virginia geography, virginia beach is, well, at the beach. in virginia. which is not south of richmond, but east. which makes sense, since we live on the east coast and all.) the saddest part of this debacle was not that i have made this same drive hundreds of times and should have known better, but that i didn't even realize i was off course until i looked out the window and saw the ocean. before i embarrass myself any further, i'll embarrass my husband. he once took a road trip with fraternity brothers from charlotte to chapel hill and wound up in south carolina. it goes without saying that neither of us has been blessed with directional sense. so i'm wondering now why in the world it took us so long to figure out that we are the prime candidates for a GPS system. chris gave me one for my birthday on wednesday, and installed it in my car last night. (one of the countless perks of having a birthday right before christmas is that he can always find great deals on a present for me. ranks right up there with two-birds-with-one-stone thank you notes.) i have already used it five times today, and i've only gone five places, one of which was our house. this device is going to revolutionize my life! no more need to print out directions from mapquest. no reason to store every possible number in my phone to call once i have absolutely no idea where i am. i might just chuck the tattered, torn, ten year old raleigh map out the window. i am in heaven. (i think. i should probably go consult the GPS to make sure.)

No comments: