Monday, June 11, 2012

lucky 13

yes, kids, there was actually a time when the world didn't have digital cameras.  we had to print out pictures on special paper and apparently they look all grainy when you scan them thirteen years later
the eve of our thirteenth anniversary finds me in a hotel room in atlanta, drinking cabernet from the free happy hour while my dear husband and children are at a braves game.  seems that a baker's dozen of years of wedded bliss has caught up with me; after eight hours of traipsing all over the city alone with two children, all i could handle was the prospect of a warm shower and a few glasses of wine.  especially since we have loads more scheduled over the next four days while chris is at a work conference ... i figure i need to conserve my energy.  (and if i'm honest, baseball must be the slowest sport known to man.  it didn't take much to convince me to stay home.)

the other day i dragged out the wedding album for the first time in eons, much to susanna's delight.  she loves poring over the pictures and asking all about the big event -- who is that?  how did you choose those dresses?  what kind of flowers are those?  i smile a happy smile as i reminisce on that june day way back from the last milennium (and, if i'm honest, smile a sad smile as i look at my unwrinkled face that only a twenty-four-year old non-mother would have.)

when we return home from our family trip, i'd love to locate the DVD (converted from VHS a few years back) of the wedding and sit down with the kids to watch it.  i think i'll especially love listening to chris's dad's homily; the service is somewhat of a blur to me, but i do remember him saying, "i've officiated hundreds of weddings over the years, but i can say that this one makes me the happiest."

i'm beyond blessed to have met my future husband way back in 1996 in Heaven (yes -- we met in a bar named "Heaven and Hell" in DC -- thank goodness we were upstairs.  can you imagine if it had been on the bottom floor, and having to explain to your children that you met their father in Hell?!).  here's to a few more baker's dozens, dear christopher.  you are my world.

2 comments:

Meg Wolff said...

Love this. Happy Anniversary! I remember that day well. You don't look a day older than you did then and I am so thrilled that you are both so happy! Thank you for keeping us all updated on your life and wonderful children. I miss you + Chris. Much love.

Meg

Stacey said...

Happy Anniversary! I can't believe it's been 13 years already! And thank you for the reminder about Heaven and Hell- what a place that was!!