Sunday, June 7, 2020

The Big Apple

Hi! This is Susanna Mann writing (for the first time!!!) This is going to be so awesome! So, anyways, I'm going to tell you about the trip my mom and I took to New York City with my friends Maggie and Lily and their moms.

We went to Lily's house at around 7:30 on Friday morning (yep! I got to miss a day of school!) to pick them up and then went to the airport. The Norrises were flying in from Iowa. We got on the plane and after one and a half hours we got off and got into a taxi for an hour to get to our hotel, The Roosevelt Hotel. Then Maggie and Mrs. Norris got there and we walked around. We went to the Plaza, where this person named Eloise lived, and had pizza. I think it tasted more like pasta, and it wasn't very filling. We went to the Lego Store at Rockefeller Plaza which had two stories.  Then we went over to Central Park (I was amazed that New York actually had a tree in it) and wandered around. Maggie, Lily and I wanted to climb the HUGE rocks instead of seeing the zoo. Eventually our parents gave in and let us climb to our hearts' content, and then we went home. We got dressed for our Broadway play, The Lion King, and went out to dinner and then to Minscoe Theater. It was really good and we got to bed at 12: 13 that night.

The next day we got a late start. We went to get tickets for the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island before trooping off  to Wall Street. We saw the big fat bull thing on Wall Street and the George Washington statue. We ate hot dogs and saw toddlers driving miniature Bentleys around (which was my highlight). Then we went shopping at this huge department store and lost my mom while she was looking at shoes. It was very confusing, since you had to go up to get down and things like that. We got hats and pens and little trinkets and then went to M&M World while my mom got us last minute tickets for Matilda. We customized our own M&Ms. They had either a mustache, a picture of us, or New York stamped on it. I felt like a cannibal eating my own head, but it tasted good! Then while Mrs. Norris and Mrs. Lainer were in the checkout line we went ahead to the NBA store. We mostly got things for our brothers. Then we chillaxed for an hour or so before going to Grand Central Station for dinner.  (For any of you Harry Potter fans, we found out that some of the new movie, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, was filmed there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Later we rode in pedicabs (I call them bikey-thingies) to Shoebert Theater in the rain. My mom thought Matilda was fantastic, but I thought it was okay. She also thought that it was kind of sad, because not many seats were filled. We went to bed at 1: 21.

On Sunday we saw the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. They were pretty cool, but we spent so much time at the Statue that we didn't have much time to look at Ellis Island. We were supposed to take two different taxis to the airport, the Manns and the Lainers in one and the Norrises in the other, but some guy said it would be easier to go in a limousine. So we got to go in a limousine to the airport! Then we got home to Raleigh. I'd say we walked 15 miles in all. It was fun.

No comments: