Tuesday, May 18, 2010

isn't she lovely?

a love letter to the birthday girl, from her daddy

Dear Susanna,

Stevie Wonder, celebrating the birth of his daughter, penned his famous song "Isn't She Lovely?"  And while I don't have the same way with words (or music), I do share Stevie's sentiment about having a daughter.  In our case, it's you, Susanna, who turns four years old today.   I remember being struck at the very notion of having a daughter when you were born.  With Liam, I knew what I was getting into -- but a girl?  What in the world was I supposed to do with a girl? 

Flash forward four years, and I can't imagine not being the father of a daughter.  I'm still not adept at making pigtails, but loathe as I am to admit it publicly, I actually take pride in putting together a cute/adorable/precious outfit -- matching hairbow and all.  And while princess dress-up might not be my thing, I can't get enough of playing dollhouse with you, reading tales of Dora and Disney, and hearing all about the various misadventures of your stuffed critters.

How do I describe my sweet girl?  You're amazingly verbal, and yet are introspective, fairly shy with strangers.  You're artistic, and can literally spend hours with your markers and coloring book, paying careful attention to which colors you wish to use and how they blend together.  You are patient, taking the time to build Lego worlds with me, painstakingly snapping the pieces together and so proud of what we make together. 

You're amazingly creative. Given a few minutes alone, you'll come up with the most elaborate, fanciful scenarios -- and will have roped in Liam to act them out with you.  I've been instructed by you enough times on the proper way to play dollhouse with you that it's not a stretch to think you have taught your brother a thing (or three).  You may be our child #2, but you are quick to show that you are in no one's shadow.  You are a truly wondrous blend of characteristics and gifts, from a great sense of humor, a dash of sass, and a maturity beyond your years (are you really only four?!)

As music-obsessed as I am, you can't imagine how thrilled I am that one of your gifts appears to be a great ear for music.  I remember you making up your own songs at the beach last summer, as you drifted along the tidal pools in your little floatie, or walked with me hand-in-hand by the water's edge.  Of course, you love to dance like a ballerina and dress the part, and you've never met a maraca, keyboard, or drum you don't like.  Like me, you remember all the songs you hear, often telling me when you hear songs you've heard before and when and where you've heard them.  You seem to really dig the Beatles and Beach Boys, but you also shake your tail feathers when some sweet soul music comes on.  Your innocent love of music is one of many things about you that brings me joy beyond compare, and makes me think I should introduce you to more Stevie Wonder!  Again, Stevie sums things up better than I ever could ...   

"Isn't she pretty
Truly the angels' best.
Boy, I'm so happy
We have been heaven blessed.
I can't believe
what God has done
Through us He's given life to one.
But isn't she lovely,
made from love."

Happy birthday, my sweet, wonderful, lovely Susanna.

All my love,
Daddy

2 comments:

cheryl said...

Oh my goodness - that's just about one of the sweetest things I've ever read!

Happy birthday Susanna!!

Stacey said...

Totally teary eyed! Happy Birthday Susanna!