Monday, March 5, 2012

timing is everything

"i bit into something crunchy at breakfast and it really hurt my wiggly tooth," susanna wailed as she entered our bedroom friday morning.  "i think we need to pull it out."

of course, she was talking to chris, because she knows very well by now that the word "we" and anything to do with loose teeth certainly does not involve me.

so i steered clear of the conversation ... until it occurred to me that chris was heading out of town that evening for a guys' trip to watch davidson play in their conference tournament, and wouldn't be back until tuesday.  and suddenly, panic set in.  and now it was i who wailed. 

"you have GOT to get that dadgum tooth out!"  i told him.  "i cannot deal with that while you're gone.  you know i'll wind up at the mental hospital and i don't think you want to be coming back down I-40 before the championship game to pick me up."

he muttered something about perhaps just leaving me there, but i'd exited the room by that time in order to distance myself from what was about to take place.  sure enough, the daughter-and-daddy dynamic dental duo shuffled off to the kids' bathroom, armed with a bit of dental floss.  and a few minutes later, the sounds of success could be heard.

whew.  

No comments: