Monday, March 1, 2010

the wedding planner

"i know who i'm going to marry," liam said one afternoon as he helped me put away his clean laundry.

"oh really?" i replied.  i thought of the cute little girls in his preschool class and wondered if he might have his first crush.  "who might that be?"

"susanna."

hmm.  i hadn't quite seen that one coming.  "well, that's a really nice thought," i said, "but you're actually not allowed to marry anyone in your family."

he laughed.  "that's so silly, mommy!  you married daddy, and you're both in our family."

he had me there.  my reasoning obviously needed some work.

he picked up a pair of socks to put in his drawer.  "i mean, we have fun together, and we love each other, and she always laughs at my knock-knock jokes," he explained.  "yep, susanna's the one for me."

and i realized that his reasoning made a whole lot more sense, at least to a five-year old, than mine did.  and i left it at that.

No comments: